- Reduces travel times and congestion.
- Opened in 2017 it had a price tag of $1.4 billion.
- New Zealand’s longest road tunnel.
- Not just about cars Waterview included building sports grounds, a skate park, walking/cycling tracks and heaps of landscaping and planting.
KAIKOURA EARTHQUAKE RESPONSE
- Close to 1 million cubic metres (about 400 Olympic-size swimming pools) of loose material was cleared away.
- More than 200 sites along SH1 and 900 sites on the main trunk railway line were damaged.
- The response cleared 90 slips and replaced numerous bridges.
- More than 1,700 people from 350 organisations worked on the response.
AUCKLAND HARBOUR BRIDGE
- Opened 1959 enabling massive population growth on the North Shore.
- The bridge is over 1,000 metres long and rises 43 metres above the harbour.
- Paid for by Government backed loans the bridge had a toll until 1984.
- Originally built with only 4 lanes a further two lanes on each side just 10 years after the opening.
- 100 metres high and 490 metres wide it is the largest concrete gravity dam in NZ.
- Opened in 1992 it took over 10 years to construct.
- The dam created Lake Dunstan which has a surface area of 26 square km.
FUTURE ICONIC PROJECTS
- Manawatu Gorge Road Replacement.
- Light rail Public Transport Developments.
- Auckland Airports second runway.
- Building infrastructure that improves New Zealand’s water quality.
- A second harbour crossing in Auckland.